Thursday, December 10, 2009

Adjusting


To put it lightly... Ty has had a rough week... much rougher than I was expecting. He has reverted back to having a binky all the time... instead of just at bed time. And he has taken to Danny's bouncy and swing... it's sad and yet kind of cute. I looked over one day to see Ty driving his trucks on Danny's face... nice. And Ty has been having melt downs over the smallest things. I'm hoping this will pass quickly and things will feel a little more normal. My mom has been here all week to help me and it has been so nice to have a helping hand. Don't know what I will do when she is gone!

Here's Danny at 5 days old. He has been a good little baby. Sleeps most of the time still and is so alert the few times he is awake during the day. He is so cute and little... I forgot how tiny they are at first! I love it when he curls up on my chest in a ball... so sweet!

At first Ty wanted nothing to do with Danny and then decided after a few days that he was wanted to hold him... and then he didn't want to put him down! He has been cute with him and wants to give him "mouth to mouth" kisses all the time... cute. And he rocks him super crazy in the swing so we have to watch him very carefully!
Love my BOYS!
I'm still healing and feeling very sore and low energy... taking things one step at a time. Breast feeding is much more of a challenge then I was expecting and I have a new found respect for women who stick with it... all I can say is thank goodness for nipple shields!! They have saved me and helped me to press on!

16 comments:

Joyful Noise said...

You can do it! (Press on with the nursing.) Get plenty of rest and drink LOTS. It will help with the swelling and also with weight loss. Sleep every chance you can! That is the key to survival! Good job Mom!

Brittany said...

hey guys! ty will be ok- peli did some of the exact same things after i had the baby- he loved her, but he behaved like he was angry with me... he would have tantrums (which he'd NEVER done before), he was emotional and stuff... it's especially hard those first few weeks, because the baby is getting ALL the attention and needs so much time, and everyone is acting different and Ty doesn't know why! for us, that weirdness lasted a few weeks (i'd say about 6-8) which may sound like a long time, but i promise everything starts to "even out" and everyone does adjust, just like the title of your post!! My mom kept reminding me to tell Peli that Raini loved him (which I would not have thought to do, had she not said that). Tell Ty that the baby loves him, it helps him not to be upset with him ;)

also, if you need anything let me know! even if you have questions or are frustrated with the nursing- it can be really hard and it DOES require alot of patience (it takes alot more time and effort than bottles do... and it's more painful for a little while). any time now, it should stop hurting so much. with both kids, i was really sore for a couple of weeks (which is an ETERNITY when your boobs are hurting and cracked!!)... but it does calm down and won't hurt at all after that.

i'll shut up now, but i'm glad you posted this! you are in the hardest part right now, so just know that it's ok to feel everything that you are feeling, and trust that everything will start to even out here pretty soon ;) luv you guys!

Jody said...

Hang in there! Breastfeeding is a challenge, but it does get easier with time. And it's so worth it for your babe to get that gooooooood milk!

You all look great!

Schrievers in a Nutshell said...

Ty is such a cute big brother! When your mom leaves and you need a break just send those cute kiddos my way!! Ty is just trying to figure out where he fits in this new life, change is hard I always say:) You are such a great mom and it is so fun to see you guys with your growing family!!

Jami and Family said...

Oh man hang in there! We went through the same thing with Ava. She was good after a few weeks but it was rough. She loved him but it was like she was angry at me for having this little baby. It will get better! Oh and good for you to stick with the breastfeeding, I quit after a week!! Good luck, it will get easier!

Chelsea and Miles said...

I don't know anything about children but I'm sure Ty will come out of everything! Danny is so cute!! Congrats and I can't wait to meet him!

Shauna said...

Hang in there girl!! I just wish I lived closer so I could come and help after your mom is gone and love on your little Danny. I'm sure it'll just take time and Ty will have to adjust to the new routine. I'm so glad the nipple shield is working!! It does save you! It will get better! I promise! Miss you!

Alisa said...

The adjusting time is hard, but special (especially with Mom around) so hang in there and enjoy! Nursing gets easier, too-hooray for the helpful gizmos. Don't worry because kids adjust-they have to. Ty's world has been shaken and soon he'll love having a brother. You have a beautiful family!

Melissa said...

Shields are a life saver. Used them for both kids. Keeping trying. Nursing is worth it. I wish I would have done it longer. It is my top goal with my next child to do it longer than I did it with my first two. Ty will adjust. I went through the same thing with Anna when Rebekah was born. Anna would run down outside when I was nursing.

Nicki said...

Oh Celeste, he is sooooo adorable! You are doing soooo great- just getting through the first few weeks is the most important part of nursing. I think what Ty's going through is pretty normal-- my first nephew went through that same thing when his little brother was born-- he never knew what he was feeling: jealousy, excitement, love, insecurity, etc. But within a few weeks they always figure out the new little one is welcome addition and it doesn't mean they're getting the boot. :) Good luck with healing and nursing and adjusting to being a mama of 2!

ThE RaSmUsSeN's said...

I wish I were closer, so Leia and Ty could have play dates and give you sometime to sleep. You're pretty tough Celeste! I can't believe you actually went out Costco, with 2 kids, and still recovering! I'm really impressed!! Breastfeeding is hard the first time, when you don't have a toddler adjusting, so don't feel bad if you feel overwhelmed right now. And the pain really DOES go away,hang in there, you'll love it eventually (I was really sad when I stopped).
remember, don't overdo it!

Julia Murphy said...

Thanks for your honest comments.. they go a long way in keeping us connected. Hope things start to turn around soon.

Love you tons.

Kristan Carter said...

Celeste,
Danny is adorable. I can't decide who he looks like...All of you really. I can't imagine 2. And yes thank goodness for nipple shields. I had to use mine the entire time :( I was sad and glad all in the same breath.... You are doing great. Ty will adjust I am sure it will just take some time. Miss you and love you. Go cougars...we will cheer loud at the Vegas BOWL

Christi said...

I love nursing!!! It can be tough but it really is worth it. He is so cute Hippie! I wish I was there to snuggle him. Did you get your package?

crookstons said...

Celeste, Danny is so cute! Ty will be ok, even Jaxson at age 4 hard a hard time at first when Ryker came home, there worlds have been turned completely upside down but now Jaxson LOVES and ADORES Ryker and Ty will get there as well! Hang in there with the breast feeding! It is so hard at first! This time around I thought man it will be a piece of cake, I have done this before and Jaxson caught on so quickly, NOT! Ryker fought it like crazy! I used the nipple shields as well and they are a life saver! Once he got the hand of nursing I weaned him off the shields and now he has no problems! I went to a wonderful lactation lady if you would like her name let me know! I can't wait to come see you guys!!

The McBrides said...

What a great big brother! I love the picture of Ty in the bouncer! Hang in there with nursing, I didn't enjoy it for the first 2 or 3 months but now I don't think I am going to be able to get myself to stop when she is 1 years old! Even after reading a million books and taking the classes, I still don't think anything can prepare you for how frustrating and discouraging (and painful) nursing is! You are doing so awesome!